- This event has passed.
Free Virtual Public Workshop: Community Driven Input on Upcoming Combined Sewage Overflow Proposed Projects
January 18 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Make Your Voice Heard with NJDEP in January for Reduced NJ Flooding and Sewage Overflows!
A Free Virtual Public Workshop:
Community Driven Input on Upcoming Combined Sewage Overflow Proposed Projects
Co-hosted by the Sewage-Free Streets and Rivers campaign and the Jersey Water Works (JWW) CSO Committee
January 18, 2023, 7:00–8:30 p.m.
As a community member or community organization you have a chance to provide needed input on the most recent New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) proposed strategies and projects to reduce flooding and sewage overflows.
We want to support you to participate and offer your comments with ease and impact.
NJDEP is giving the public 60 days—until February 13, 2023—to comment – in writing and orally – on the recently released DRAFT North Bergen/Guttenberg, NJ CSO Permit (which allows certain strategies and projects to be implemented).
If you live or work in North Bergen’s Woodcliff Neighborhood or in Guttenberg, we highly encourage your participation. Modifications made to this first CSO permit will inform the process, projects, timelines, and costs finalized in the other regional CSO permits expected to be released in 2023.
As such, community members, officials, and community organizations in the other NJ CSO communities are encouraged to participate in this permit’s public comment process.
During this workshop, we’ll make it simple to understand:
- What Combined Sewer Systems (CSSs) and Combined Sewer Overflows (CSOs) are.
- Why these NJDEP CSO permits are important for protecting the environment and public health.
- What strategies, projects, and public engagement efforts should be included in an effective CSO permit.
- Concerns around what may be missing in this first draft permit (for Woodcliff, North Bergen/Guttenberg, New Jersey).
- How to provide comments before the permits are finalized (in writing and during oral testimony).
Use the above sign up even if you can’t join the workshop, so we can email you suggestions, tips, and reminders on joining the public comment period! Or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com